The First Rule of Punk by Celia C. Perez
Follow Malu as she navigates moving to a new school and coming to terms with the multiple parts of her Mexican-American identity. She's long thought she was a "Coconut" and that her punk rock personality clashed with what it meant to be in touch with her Mexican heritage. Now, new friends and a new perspective are showing her the most punk thing she can do is to be herself!
How does a self-paced book club work?
A self-paced book club is a great option for digging deeper into a text and doing some activities to help with your understanding and analysis of the text and its themes.
Included in this class, you'll find the following:
- A suggested reading schedule (broken into four weeks)
- A PDF reading guide with comprehension questions for each week
- Vocabulary activities
- Writing/multimodal project prompts related to the reading
- Rubrics for parents/guardians to give feedback on projects
- Links to supplemental resources related to the text and its themes
The class was designed to take about a month to complete, but you can complete it at whatever pace works for you!
- A copy of the book The First Rule of Punk by Celia C. Perez
- A PDF reader
- Video and audio capabilities on the device you use for class
Looking for other self-paced Book Clubs for tweens?